Welcome to the latest edition of the Weekly Recap, your guide to the week's Dell-related news and happenings.
TOP STORIES OF THE WEEK
Dell XPS 12 Windows 8 Tablet Vs. Hurricane Sandy – Information Week, November 7, 2012
When Hurricane Sandy struck, millions of people found themselves without power and the means of communication. One New York-based journalist gives a personal account of how events unfolded and how he coped with the Dell XPS 12 Windows 8 Tablet.
Dell: PCs and laptops to survive in tablet age – The National, November 8, 2012
In an interview with United Arab Emirates’ leading daily newspaper, The National, Steve Felice talks about his outlook for PC sales, as well as the wider technology trends in the Middle East.
OTHER DELL NEWS
- Our Story: Into the enterprise – Michael Dell on Direct2Dell, November 8, 2012
In his latest Our Story blog series, Michael Dell talks about Dell’s enterprise momentum and heritage, beginning with the Nov. 8, 1994 launch of the Dell PowerEdge server line.
- Dell provides $340.5 million annual impact to local economy – News OK, November 8, 2012
Enabling large and small businesses to grow and achieve their goals, as well as making a positive impact locally, Dell’s Oklahoma facility has generated an estimated $2.2 billion in economic impact since opening in 2004, according to a study by the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.
- Dell Wyse encourages BYOD with centralized IT management for mobile devices – ZDNet, November 7, 2012
Offering IT administrators a single point of administration for Android and iOS device and thin client management, the Dell Cloud Client Manager supports a variety of deployments and provides ease of control for devices ranging from smartphones and tablets to zero and thin clients.
- IPS grows up – SC Magazine, November 1, 2012
In a debate on how IPS (Intrusion Prevention Systems) have evolved, Daniel Ayoub, manager of product marketing at Dell SonicWALL, suggests that IPS is just as ubiquitous as firewalls, estimating that nearly 98 percent of organizations have deployed an IPS in some form or another.
- Sportsbet manages Melbourne Cup spikes with storage array – CIO Australia, November 6, 2012
To make sure that data is available and performance remains high on Australia’s annual Melbourne Cup horse racing day, online wagering company, Sportsbet uses Dell Compellent storage arrays to help the company manage website transaction loads that are six times greater than workloads it would experience on a typical Tuesday.
- Tenet subsidiary Conifer Health Solutions acquire Dell’s revenue management system – Dallas Morning News, November 5, 2012
With the aim of growing its business as the leading revenue cycle service provider for hospitals, Conifer Health Solutions, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tenet Healthcare Corp., will be acquiring Dell’s Revenue Cycle Solutions (RCS) business for hospitals and hospital systems.
- Dell SonicWALL Partner Roadshow takes place in November – AME Info, November 5, 2012
Providing a unique opportunity to get up to date with its portfolio and be able to better address the new demands of the market with security tools, Dell SonicWALL has announced an EMEA events programme aimed specifically at partners and resellers.
- Dell testing 64-bit ARM server with chip from AppliedMicro – PC World, November 2, 2012
Already testing servers based on 32-bit ARM chips from Marvel and Calxeda, Dell has now built a prototype server based on a 64-bit ARM processor from Applied Micro Circuits, showing the system at a conference in Silicon Valley last Thursday.
TOP 5 Direct2Dell POSTS (November 5th – November 9th)
- Dell Gets Inspired This Holiday Season
- Weathering the Superstorm Together
- Interview with Mike Lampa, Dell and Jeffrey Word, SAP HANA – Part 2
- Unleashing the Potential of Cloud Computing in Europe, A Dell Perspective
- Dell Education Challenge Announces Semifinalists
PRESS RELEASES (November 5th – November 9
- Dell Software Helps School Districts Prepare to Implement Online Assessment Testing Programs
- Targeted Cyber Threat Intelligence Services Launched by Dell SecureWorks to Help Organizations Identify and Defend Against Targeted Cyber Attacks
- Dell Provides emotive with Cloud Solution that Streamlines Marketing, Sales Pipeline Management and Sales Order Processing
- Dell Enables IT Professionals to Securely Embrace Consumerization of IT with Innovative User and Device Management Software Delivered as a Cloud Service
- Dell Services Introduces New Microsoft Dynamics Solution for Manufacturers