Welcome to the latest edition of the Weekly Recap, your guide to the week's Dell-related news and happenings.
STORY OF THE WEEK
Microsoft & Dell CEOs Show Off Windows 8 CNNMoney – October 30, 2012
Offering new possibilities for both consumers and software developers, Windows 8 makes a compelling case for people to change their PC. Speaking independently and with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, Michael Dell said that Microsoft’s new operating system opens up new possibilities to scale and integrate tablets into the business environment and to deliver a more addictive and immersive touch experience. With tablets that can fulfill the role of PC, Windows 8 will be good for Dell and will help to regenerate interest from consumers in PC upgrades.
OTHER DELL NEWS
- Dell Looks to Ride the BYOD Wave – Business Times, October 29, 2012
Cool mobile devices are just one piece of the BYOD puzzle. Dell has spoken about how solutions optimised for management, security and productivity are critical in exceeding user expectations and overcoming IT constraints.
- Dell Has Shipped 1M Webscale Servers in Five Years to Arm the Cloud – GigaOM, October 30, 2012
Dell’s Data Center Solutions group recently shipped its 1 millionth server just five years after coming into existence. It’s proof of how important webscale buyers have become to the server market, as well as how different their demand are than those of traditional IT buyers.
- Dell SonicWALL to tap the large enterprise market – Express Computer Online, October 30, 2012
Every enterprise that has deployed cloud infrastructure or uses a hosted cloud network needs efficient security modules. Richard Ting, vice president Asia Sales and general manager, Dell SonicWALL, has explained how next-generation firewalls provide network security with scalability and rapid deployment for businesses in India.
- Dell: The Case for a Single-Solution Provider – IT Business Edge, October 29, 2012
Adding tremendous value to SMBs that are looking to expand or to businesses with smaller IT departments, Dell products and solutions enable IT staff to focus on innovations that improve their bottom line.
- Dell Launches an App for Microsoft’s New Windows 8 Operating System – Internet Retailer, November 1, 2012
The Dell Shop app uses the trademark Windows 8 live tiles—dynamic icons which display on a tablet or computer’s start screen—to show shoppers notifications about new products and offers from Dell.
- Dell Pledges University Research Push – V3, November 1, 2012
Dell has pledged its support for a series of university research projects with Arizona State University, Clemson University and Indiana University. Designed to improve computing and networking technologies, the projects will include the development of big data platforms, open-source frameworks and storage systems for use in research and development operations.
- One Way to Create America Jobs: Fix Our 5 Million Tons of Out-of-Use Electronics – The Atlantic, October 31, 2012
At least one large electronics manufacturer has already found a way to responsibly handle its e-waste and create much-needed jobs in the bargain. Through a partnership with Goodwill called Reconnect, Dell collects 90 million pounds of electronics each year.
TOP 5 Direct2Dell POSTS (October 29th – November 2nd)
- Dell Supports Customers Impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- Browse Dell.com Windows 8-style with Dell Shop App
- How to Scale your Customer Service Superhero as Your Company Grows
- Windows 8 is Here: Touch, Live Tiles and a Lot More
- The Year of the Virtual Desktop – Really!
PRESS RELEASES (October 29th – November 2nd)
- Dell’s 100,000th EqualLogic Storage Array Helps Connexions4London Increase Cloud Service Revenue
- Hall County Schools Drives BYOD Initiative with Dell SonicWALL SuperMassive