Last week at the GigaOM Structure conference here in San Francisco, I ran into Marten Mickos, the recently appointed CEO of Eucalyptus systems. Eucalyptus is one of the key ingredients in the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud that is being certified to run on Dell’s PowerEdge C systems as part of our cloud ISV program.
Marten, the former CEO of MySQL took the helm of Eucalyptus about three months ago, and was at Structure both as an attendee and participant, sitting on two panels at this two-day cloud-a-polooza. At the end of the day-one I got some time with Marten and asked him about his new gig.
Some of the topics Marten tackles:
- How he made the decision to go to Eucalyptus. (Hint: he asked the question, what’s bigger than Open Source)
- What is Eucalyptus and whats it based on?
How will Marten’s experience at MySQL and Sun help him in his new role at Eucalyptus?
- MySQL was a disrupter of the old whereas Eucalyptus is an innovator of the new.
- Sun’s company culture was phenomenal, the technology was phenomenal, the business…um…
- What Eucalyptus is doing with Canonical and the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.
- What Eucalyptus is focusing on for the next year.
- Talkin’ to Eucalyptus Founder & CTO — Rich Wolski
- The Register article based on this interview: Ex-MySQL chief puts open source in its place
Pau for now…