Dell and VMware refining the art and science of desktop virtualization
Listening to our customer and driving continuous enhancements in our solutions are values both the Dell and VMware organizations share in common. We are continuing to build and refine our joint solutions for end user computing with VMware – a process we jointly re-committed to earlier this year. In fact we just did a “stealthy” release of a significant set of extended capabilities to our Dell Desktop Virtualization Enterprise Solutions for VMware Horizon View solution. The focus of this recent work is primarily two-fold.
One, extending and enhancing the scope and range of use cases we support with a goal to provide an agile flexible compute environment where all users can be as productive as they can be, and have the ability to access any app or any corporate resource at a time, location and with the device of their choosing…. After all, happy productive employees are the engine of success in today’s dynamic businesses!
And two, we are constantly working to make the IT manager’s job a little easier with things like supporting VMware vCenter Operations Manager (vCOPS) and storage reclamation to enhance the management and operational flexibility delivered in our desktop virtualization solutions.
- Support for advanced virtualized 3D graphics with NVIDIA GRID K1/K2 and Horizon View vSGA (shared graphics mode), Our solution characterization indicates more than 40 users can be supported per host server. We will dive deeper into this topic is a future blog – STAY TUNED!
- User productivity enhancements via support for unified collaboration with Microsoft Lync 2013. Our solution characterization indicates host server CPU utilization is improvedby 28% when Lync is deployed with the VMware View Plugin for Lync.
- Support for the newly released Dell Active Systems 50/200/1000 platforms. Support for the Active System 800 platform was introduced earlier this spring. With this broad portfolio, any organization of any size can deploy a desktop virtualization workload on Dell converged infrastructure with confidence!
- Extended use case coverage with a NEW Branch Office Desktop deployment architecture that leverages Dell SonicWall WXA/Firewall technologies. We will dive deeper into this solution is a future blog – STAY TUNED!
- Support for Dell Wyse D50D and Z50D thin clients in addition to supporting Dell Wyse P Series zero clients
- A host of management and operational refinements including support for: vSphere Distributed Switch, Storage Reclamation, Storage vMotion, Windows 8 guest VMs with sizing, and the opportunity to use VMware vCenter Operations Manager (vCOPs) for View.
To learn more on the technical level now, please consult the NEW DVS Enterprise for VMware View Reference Architecture for technical qualification specifications for all of the above. These are just a few of the highlights we have added to our joint solutions with VMware Horizon View … you can get details of our desktop virtualization solutions with VMware Horizon View on Dell.com.
In this post we wanted to introduce these great new enhancements to our solutions with VMware… We will deep dive on selected topics listed above with additional blog posts over the next few weeks.
To learn more live! Come and visit Dell at VMworld! Its coming fast! See you there!