Today at VMworld, EMC revealed a suite of hybrid cloud automation services to help customers slice IT costs and increase agility. The services leverage new automation and orchestration technologies and are all about building a Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) and a hybrid cloud.
Interest in hybrid clouds is rocketing upwards due to the IT cost savings and benefits being realized by these solutions. They free businesses not only to run the applications they need … but to run them where it makes most sense based on attributes meaningful to the business: functionality, cost, and security.
This all hinges on virtualized, robust, high-performance, and incredibly agile IT systems that help IT to run like a business. According to a recent IDG global study on executive perspectives of ITaaS, 70% of IT executives rated “running IT like a business” as critical or very important.
SDDC and hybrid cloud require the business to plan for the long haul and pick application development frameworks, service providers, and tools judiciously.
Hybrid clouds built on virtualized infrastructures require specialized management and operations tools. But Houston, we may have a bigger problem. IDG’s ITaaS study showed that a whopping majority of ‘virtualized’ IT organizations don’t even have cloud and management tools deployed …
To address this gap, EMC’s new hybrid cloud automation services leverage VMware’s vCloud Suite and VMware’s IT Business Management Suite to improve agility for SDDC. They transform how applications are designed and deployed; how infrastructure is configured, maintained and scaled; and how operations empower users, developers, and administrators. Let’s take a closer look:
- Management and Orchestration Jumpstart: designs and implements IaaS built with vCloud Automation Center with a vCenter Operations Management dashboard
- vCloud Suite Enablement is designed to automate your DevOps tool environment by implementing vCloud Suite and Puppet PaaS
- Dynamic Financial Management gives greater transparency into IT costs and policies for your hybrid cloud with VMware’s IT Business Management Suite
- Unified Self Service Portal provides self-service via an intuitive, role-aware portal that are engineered to enable business professionals to easily consume services
- Service Catalog Strategy and Design helps you to simplify the services you deliver and align them with the business
And remember, EMC has more than 3,800 VMware trained professionals worldwide to help companies design, implement, and optimize SDDC and hybrid cloud solutions. Also, EMC’s Cloud Architect and Data Center Architect training and certifications equip IT Professionals to successfully lead their organizations on the journey to hybrid cloud.
Here’s the deal: increasing revenue and lowering operational costs for the business (while providing a multitude of services) is quickly becoming a must-have conversation for customers. Recently, I wrote a blog on our new IT Transformation Storymap which depicts the many transformations happening across infrastructure, applications, and operations.
EMC’s services announcement today is a major step forward on that journey and you can be sure there’s more to come. It’s what we do, and we do it well.