EMC ViPR Strikes Again with New Support for Flash and Data Protection

The EMC ViPR team believes that making a great software-defined storage solution even better requires never standing still.  That’s why today we’re announcing updates to EMC ViPR Controller and EMC ViPR SRM.  New enhancements include support  for flash and hybrid flash arrays, including EMC XtremIO and EMC VMAX3 environments, and Data Protection-as-a-Service for EMC Data Domain and EMC VPLEX MetroPoint environments.

With the added support for EMC XtremIO and EMC VMAX3  arrays, storage admins are able to enact policies that automate delivery of storage services for high-transactional workloads in 5 simple steps, all while providing comprehensive automation and visibility.  Plus, with new flash performance monitoring, alerting and trending, administrators will have the insight they need to reclaim and reallocate flash capacity — helping to improve storage utilization by up to 20%.

ViPR Controller will also offer Data Protection-as-a-Service support for EMC Data Domain backup and archive solutions and EMC VPLEX MetroPoint topologies, allowing customers to automate storage provisioning, data protection and recovery services — reducing manual steps by an average of 89%, while ensuring continuous availability of mission-critical workloads and protection against data loss.  Additionally, ViPR SRM will provide enhanced integrations with EMC Data Protection Advisor to automate SLA reporting of compliance with backup policies for Avamar and Symantec environments.

Translation? More automation and deeper flash array insight saves time, eliminates complexity and helps stretch our customers’ storage dollars farther.

So why are these benefits needed today? It’s really all about the data.  There’s more data out there than ever before, wreaking havoc for everyone managing it (we’re talking 44ZBs in the next five years).  Finding new ways to store, protect and manage data at scale is becoming a mandate for many of our customers across the globe, and the 80/20 budget dilemma continues to wreak havoc, with some companies  still allocating as much as 80% of their budget to maintenance and keeping the lights on – thus leaving only 20% for innovation and investment.  In 2013, EMC released ViPR to help customers simplify traditional storage environments in order to free up resources and focus on 3rd Platform opportunities.   Today, VIPR Controller helps customers reduce traditional storage provisioning time by an average 63%.  That’s a lot more time to focus on the needs of the apps and not the ops!

Jaques DeJean, Head of Information Systems at Sogelcair, a ViPR customer, says, “ViPR Controller has helped us to ensure total redundancy and continuous operations across our entire global storage infrastructure, while helping us to ease our team’s workloads and actually eliminate standby shifts. In addition, ViPR SRM delivers real-time analysis of all our systems and enables us to monitor our entire infrastructure, ensuring our resources are optimized. ViPR Controller provides us with the confidence we need to know our entire storage infrastructure is at optimal performance and helps us deliver improved financial performance.”

What makes ViPR Controller so powerful is the software-only approach to storage management, automation and services. ViPR Controller’s open, extensible software platform allows EMC to offer new capabilities that meet market demands — and rapidly deliver them to customers through a simple software upgrade.

We’ve made it even easier to get started with ViPR Controller.  There’s a no-charge software download and a ViPR Controller Starter Pack; check it out!

ViPR Controller 2.2 + ViPR SRM 3.6 will be generally available in Q1 2015.

About the Author: Sam Grocott

Sam Grocott is the Senior Vice President of Dell Technologies Business Unit (DTBU) Marketing, which focuses on all infrastructure and client solutions as well as the associated services portfolio. DTBU Marketing also includes key GTM activities across global business-to-business (B2B) campaigns, portfolio messaging and competitive intelligence. Sam began his career with Isilon Systems in 2001 leading Product Management and was responsible for helping bring to market Isilon’s first products in 2003. After Isilon was acquired by EMC in 2010, Sam continued to lead the marketing and product management team that delivered the industry leading scale-out NAS offering. When EMC was acquired by Dell in in 2016, Sam’s role expanded to include the entire Dell EMC Infrastructure Solutions portfolio for Marketing. This set into motion what ultimately resulted in the creation of DTBU Marketing, representing the entire Dell Technologies portfolio.