Dell Weekly Recap: News & Customer Spotlight
Welcome to the latest edition of Dell’s Weekly Recap, your guide to the week's Dell-related news and happenings.
TOP STORY OF THE WEEK
Solar Conduction Dryer has been awarded the $60,000 grand prize in the 2013 Dell Social Innovation Challenge, after competing against 2,600 entries from over 100 countries. The student team is developing technology that will enable rural Indian farmers to save more of their crops through an efficient drying process to maximize valuable revenue. .
To deliver shipments faster and improve customer service, American cargo airline Amerijet has modernized its data center with an end-to-end Dell infrastructure.
5 STORIES ABOUT DELL
Dell recently released an upgrade to its BI offering, which differs substantially from other BI platforms in that it doesn’t require IT organizations to set up separate data marts or data warehouses. Instead, John Whitaker, director of product marketing for information management at Dell Software, says Dell Toad runs in-memory to give customers not only a faster BI application, but an overall environment that is a lot more agile.
A dozen or so experts on social innovation and sustainability gathered in Austin, TX, on Tuesday for the Dell Social Innovation Challenge, a yearly program that inspires social entrepreneurship all over the world. For the first time ever, there was a global audience watching along on a live stream and discussing it on Twitter. If you have a few hours free or are just looking for some informative background noise, the live stream links still have access to the entire discussion. But in case you don’t, we’ve decided to reenact it for you as we watched it online and got involved with Twitter. Enjoy.
Big data has become a mainstream IT phenomenon, and yet many organizations still struggle to manage and derive value from their data. Darin Bartik, vice president and general manager, database management business, Dell Software Group, has outlined the common reasons why big data projects fail, and how to make projects succeed.
Converged infrastructure is gaining importance for many reasons including the ability to improve agility, efficiency, and IT service quality while not hampering the organization's IT budget. These advantages are further enhanced by the use of storage blade arrays.
To help channel partners price complex enterprise solutions quickly and easily, Dell has launched the Online Solutions Configurator tool.
TOP 5 Direct2Dell POSTS (May 11 – May 17)
- Introducing the Smallest Towers and Most Powerful Rack Workstations
- Dell Transforms the Thin Client User Experience with New Thin Clients Built on Windows Embedded 8 Standard
- The Media & Entertainment Transformation
- Dell and Intel research reveals optimism among small businesses in the United States
- Announcing new Active Infrastructure platform capabilities for SAP Workloads
Press Release(s) (May 11 – May 17)
- Dell Special Committee Requests Additional Information on Proposal
- Dell Launches Online Solutions Configurator to Enable Partners to Create Customized Deals Quickly
- Dell and Intel Research Reveals Optimism Among U.S. Small Businesses, Focus on Domestic Growth
- Solar Conduction Dryer Wins Grand Prize in 2013 Dell Social Innovation Challenge
- Dell Software Extends SharePlex to Optimize Data Integration and Analysis
- Dell Helps Trinitas Regional Medical Center Manage Growing Archive of Clinical Images
- Dell’s highly scalable solution improves business responsiveness for JM Financial Services
- Dell Redefines Workstation Computing Boundaries with Smallest Tower and Most Powerful Rack Workstations
- Dell Reports Fiscal Year 2014 First Quarter Financial Results
- Holland Casino Goes "All In" With Dell Storage
- Clear Creek Independent School District Launches Personalized Learning Initiative with Dell, Microsoft and Intel