DATA GROWTH – It's a politically charged issue
The US Government may have come up with a last-minute resolution to avoid credit default but based on feedback from the IT leaders I’ve been talking to, there’s another serious debt crisis to resolve- The Storage Debt Crisis.
Data growth in the Virtual Era appears so extreme that many companies are experiencing significant pain keeping up with primary data storage costs. But, unlike for our government, continuously throwing more money (e.g. storage dollars) at the problem is an increasingly unpopular proposition for IT organizations. Instead, when I talk with customers about their storage growth challenges, it’s clear there’s increased urgency for sustainable, long-term data management solutions to help solve these challenges once and for all. The IT population is getting restless.
Sound familiar? Well, to that I say, “enough already!” Maybe it’s time we start an “I-Tea Party” Movement inside our corporations to drive sustainable change so that we can all grow and thrive in the Virtual Era!
The "I-TEA PARTY" Agenda
I’m thinking The I-Tea Party’s agenda should enable two key aspirations that have resonated loudly from Dell’s Enterprise, Public and SMB constituents as I’ve talked to them about Dell’s Fluid Data™ Management Strategy. They are:
- To Reduce Data Management & Storage Spending, and
- To Increase IT’s value through employment of data as a strategic asset
ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COMPANY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT….
..When business and IT leaders ask me what they can do for their companies to immediately transform their data from a cost burden to a strategic asset, I often advise them to consider ELECTING AN ACTIVE ARCHIVING SOLUTION, such as Dell’s Email & File Archiving Solution or Dell’s Unified Clinical Archiving Solution. Active Archiving can be a panacea for "I-Tea Partiers" because of its ability to influence both cost and value simultaneously. For example:
- Active Archiving removes static data from expensive storage tiers to lower-cost and higher-density storage tiers which frees up storage space, reducing storage spend and increasing primary storage performance
- Active Archive reduces the amount of data being backed-up which frees up storage space, improving RTO performance and reliability
- Active Archive can employ rich content-awareness and preservation features, such as those found on the DX Object Storage Platform, which protects data from application obsolescence, improves data searchability & discoverability and can enable globally distributed data and storage to be self-managing for decades
Conclusion – PUT YOUR DATA TO WORK IN THE VIRTUAL ERA!
Like Government Spending, data growth is out of control and the Storage Debt Crisis is looming. Left unmitigated, IT costs & complexities will continue to spiral out of control while valuable information sits unemployed, trapped within the confines of inefficient storage infrastructures. Archiving is one practical way to curb data growth, reduce storage spending, and to achieve sustainable value creation through data “job creation”.
Join the “I-Tea Party” Revolution and Vote for Active Archiving!