As IT teams consider the best resources for deploying Cloud workloads, the choice often comes down to on-premise vs. Cloud infrastructure via public Cloud services. Public Cloud resources offer extraordinary scalability, lower costs and access to next-generation technologies. Private Cloud or on-premise infrastructure provides more control, security and visibility.
As Cloud solutions have proliferated, enterprises have adopted both on premise and Cloud infrastructure to create a multi-cloud architecture. Yet deploying multiple public Clouds as well as on-premise technology can create a chaotic and complex management experience that adds cost, risk and administrative burden to the task of running workloads on Cloud resources.
Dell Technologies Cloud can help. With a suite of solutions for bringing a consistent operational experience to hybrid Cloud environments, Dell Technologies Cloud enable enterprises to move applications and data easily between Cloud resources, ending the debate over benefits of on-premise vs. Cloud solutions.
The differences between on-premise vs. Cloud computing are drawn fairly sharply.
Cloud infrastructure, or public Cloud solutions, provide elastic computing resources on demand with pay-as-you-go pricing that offers considerable cost savings for enterprise computing. Public Cloud solutions are fully managed by third-party providers, relieving IT teams of the need to purchase, install, manage and upgrade technology on site. Public Cloud offerings can scale easily to meet unpredictable workload demands and provide high reliability thanks to a great amount of redundancy. And public Clouds can provide access to next-generation services like AI/ML, containers, blockchain, serverless computing and Cloud native applications.
On-premise infrastructure, or private Cloud, is a Cloud environment that is available for use only by one client. Rather than sharing a pool of resources with multiple customers, companies have complete access to all the resources that a private Cloud provides. Private Clouds may be located within an organization’s data center, or located off-site and managed by a third-party. Private Clouds provide a more secure environment that can simplify compliance with stringent regulations. Private Clouds simplify data governance and data locality issues, and can deliver high SLA performance and efficiency.
As IT teams consider the benefits of on-premise vs. Cloud infrastructure, a hybrid Cloud infrastructure is a third possibility. A hybrid Cloud involves a combination of on-premise and Cloud infrastructure, but also includes technology that connects all Cloud resources. Hybrid Cloud also delivers a common set of tools that simplifies management of Cloud workloads across all public, private and Cloud edge computing platforms. That’s where Dell Technologies Cloud can help.
Dell Technologies Cloud utilizes the expertise of Dell technologies to simplify deployment and management of hybrid Cloud environments. Cloud Instead, they can easily move workloads to any private or public Cloud infrastructure as business requirements and Cloud economics dictate.
Dell Technologies Cloud comprises a set of Cloud infrastructure solutions that include:
• VMware Cloud Foundation on VxRail, a turnkey platform for running, managing, automating and securing workloads across multiple Clouds. The platform is built on a robust HCI platform, VCF on VxRail, and incorporates Cloud management/orchestration tools from VMware Cloud Foundation.
• Dell Technologies Cloud Validated Designs, providing best-of-breed Dell Technologies infrastructure that is pre-tested for interoperability with VMware Cloud Foundation. Validated Designs enable organizations to build their own hybrid Cloud infrastructure with prescriptive building blocks, meeting the varied demands of workloads with independent scaling of compute and storage.
• VMware Cloud on Dell Technologies, a fully managed subscription-based Data Center-as-a-Service solution. This offering combines the speed and flexibility of public Cloud with the security and control of on-premises infrastructure, delivering Cloudlike ease-of-use for on-premise workloads while providing unparalleled consistency between local environments and public Cloud environments.
• Support for Partner Clouds. Dell Cloud Technologies provides a seamless hybrid Cloud experience that extends to Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and more than 4,200 additional Cloud partners.
Dell Technologies Cloud incorporates all the benefits of on-premise vs. Cloud infrastructure, enabling organizations to:
• Scale on demand to extend IT environments and deliver resources as needed without adding additional complexity.
• Simplify management with a common set of tools and consistent infrastructure that eliminates silos, drives efficiency and improves agility.
• Improve workload mobility between on-premise and Cloud infrastructure, using familiar tools and models that reduce errors and create efficiencies for administrators.
• Minimize risk by enabling administrators to use a single operational hub for managing Cloud architecture.
• Increase security by deploying a single security framework across all public and private Clouds.
• Speed time-to-market with the latest VMware software and Kubernetes distribution.
• Reduce TCO with flexible hybrid pricing models that allow IT teams to choose the optimal mix of resources and reap the benefits of on-premise vs. Cloud infrastructure for any workload.
As IT teams deploy a hybrid Cloud infrastructure, Dell Technologies Services provide industry experts who can offer strategic guidance and practical capabilities to accelerate time to value. Dell Technologies Services include:
• Consulting services that leverage prescriptive approaches and proven methodologies to plan and execute IT, workforce and application transformation.
• Deployment services that streamline complexity, accelerate adoption and ROI, and bring new IT investments online quickly as possible.
• Support services delivered by hybrid Cloud experts and an AI engine that proactively detects and prevents issues before they impact performance.
• Managed services that reduce the cost, complexity and risk of managing a hybrid Cloud and enable IT teams to focus on more strategic priorities for digital innovation and transformation.
• Education services that help build IT skills required to manage hybrid Cloud solutions and lead and execute transformational strategy to drive competitive advantage.
What is Cloud computing?
Cloud computing provides on-demand computing resources – including servers, storage, databases, applications and more – that can be accessed via the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing. Cloud computing services, or public Clouds, are managed by third-party providers and made available to many clients. Public Cloud services offer high availability and allow organizations to rapidly provision resources, scaling up or down quickly as business needs require.
What is on-premise infrastructure?
On-premise infrastructure, or private Clouds, are Cloud computing environments that are reserved for use by one organization. On-premise infrastructure provides the same type of elastic, virtualized services as public Clouds, but also offers greater control and visibility into infrastructure. On-premise infrastructure resides within a company’s data center, requiring more involvement and management from IT teams.
What are the benefits of on-premise vs. Cloud computing?
Public Cloud computing services offer nearly unlimited scalability, lower costs and access to next-generation technologies like AI/ML, serverless computing, blockchain and real-time analytics. Private Cloud computing provides tighter security, stronger data governance, easier management of data locality issues and lower latency for high-performance workloads.
What is hybrid Cloud?
A hybrid Cloud involves both on-premise and Cloud infrastructure, as well as technology that connects various Cloud resources and simplifies management and orchestration of workloads in the Cloud.
Dell Technologies Cloud can help modernize your data center, unify hybrid Cloud operations, build modern Cloud apps, and scale or migrate Cloud workloads.
Dell Technologies Data Center as a Service (DCaaS) provides the speed and flexibility of public Cloud with the security and control of a private Cloud.
Explore Dell Technologies Cloud resources.